Friday, January 5, 2007

Hong Kong markets

Temple and Jade Markets feature in all the guidebooks and are apparently a fun thing to see at night. We followed directions and found the fringes of it selling mainly sex toys and souvenirs with Chairman Mao on them. Unlikely as it may seem. he has a certain kitsch appeal these days. The main stretch of Temple Street Market features clothes and copy-designer goods. For under ten pounds I could have looked like one of my students in Japan decked out in Burberry and Louis Vuitton. Theirs is the real thing though. God knows where they get the money for it. When I was a student I could barely afford to feed myself.

Dinner was beef fried noodles at a scruffy street café off Temple Street followed by a posh cocktails in the upmarket Knutsford Terrace.

No comments: